Liberty Market has been rejuvenated since its 1935 start as the lone grocery in downtown Gilbert, Arizona. With its landmark original neon sign, it has been transformed into an urban bistro and specialty retail grocer.
Before new construction was started, the existing building was part brick masonry built in 1935, and part CMU added in 1958. The new addition is a mix of CMU and wood frame construction.
Urban Re-use and LEED Traits
Although not LEED certified Liberty Market could score points in the rating system. By redeveloping an urban site with access to multiple bus routes and proximity to community services it could earn the SS1, SS3 and SS4.1 credits. Since no new parking was created it could earn Credit SS4.4. By creating a landscaped patio and maintaining other open space exceeding 20% of the site area it could achieve credit for SS5.2